Do you prefer reading poetry or prose?

Saturday, April 17, 2010

My Plea to the Angels

When the angels came,
I begged them “Please don’t take her,
She still has so much life to live,
She never saw me in the boat,
Which she helped to buy,
She never saw the forgiveness,
That she deserved so much.
She never was accepted,
Even by those she loved.
There is so much she never got to do,
So this is why I beg you,
Please don’t take her.”
But all they said to me in reply was this,
“You silly boy her time is come,
She has to leave you now.
We know she never saw these things,
But the Lord won’t make exceptions,
For who gets to stay behind,
Her time is up, she has to go,
We cannot let her stay.”
And so I wept, as only one
Whose heart was torn in two could weep.
When the angels saw the tears,
They too began to cry.
And so I made one final plea,
To stay by my auntie’s side.
“Oh please, if you can’t let her stay,
Then take me with you too.
I’ll leave this world to stay with her,
I will die with her today.”
The angels’ hearts were touched,
But again they said to me,
“We came to take only her,
And only her we’ll take.”
With that they left me all alone,
In the empty room.
I knew that she was gone.
She was beyond my reach,
She was with the angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment